Monday, January 14, 2008

Thanks to the computer... It has made me so dumb

I had been out shopping the other day. For a change I had been sent out to get vegetables. I find some fresh coriander leaves and methi. I purchase for a small change. Giving 10Rs I wait for my change. Then suddenly it clicked, I wait for my change, but don't even mentally calculate how much I need to get back. Finally I get the change and leave.

Then I got to thinking. First 12 years of schooling I was taught how to count fast, without the help of a calculator. One year into engineering un-did(This is where i was introduced to Ctrl-Z) all this learning. Thanks to the 'Scientfic calculator' which was mandatory. Am I a "scientist" cos I used it? I better not be. Just one month had ruined my mathematical "skills". I started depending on it heavily for even simple calculations.

Thanks to the PC the trend continued. My Manager was in one of his moods(Very rare) to treat some of us. He asked If i keep an average of 300 per person, how much will it come to for 7 of us? I was amazed at how fast my brain could work. No, not work out the calculation, but open calculator application to calculate the above. I know 3 shortcuts to open calculator in windows.

A learned man once said "PCs make us Possesive"... . I say They made me dumb too...

No comments: